Tuesday, August 8, 2017

And yet another unpublished letter to the Post-Dispatch

Dear Editor,

In your paper’s Q&A about gender identity, you report that gender is a social construct but 'gender identity' is innate. If gender is a social construct, then it is imposed from without and is, thus, not internal to the individual. But gender identity is innate and, therefore, is internal to the individual. So, how can gender be a social construct but one’s own identification of gender be inborn? Why isn’t that a glaring violation of the rule of non-contradiction? Would you, please, explain this to me? Pretty, pretty please. I'm trying so hard not to be a transphobic bigot, but basic logic gets in the way. Help me, please. I don't wanna be a bigot. I don't wanna be a bigot. Waaa!!!

Sincerely,

No comments: