Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Catholic School and Good Catholic Values

About a decade ago or so there were radio spots in my area trumpeting the advantages of Catholic Schools. The announcer would mention a person who has enjoyed worldly success like Joe Garagialo or Mary Higgins Clark and then ask, "And why has he [or she] been so successful?" You could almost hear a drumroll. "Because he [or she] went to Catholic Schools where he learned good Catholic Values." I really wanted to do some radio spots of my own which would have gone something like this: "Sir Thomas More was the most respected man in England. He had it all, a loving family, wealth, a brilliant writing career, and political power. And he gave it all away to have his head chopped off. Why? Because he went to Catholic Schools where he learned good Catholic Values." Or this: "Jeanne la Pucelle was burned at the stake. Why? Because she went to Catholic Schools where she learned good Catholic Values." You get the idea.

Unfortunately, I did not have enough money to purchase such radio spots.  I've not had enough worldly success.  I went to Catholic School as well but guess that I did not learn enough of those good Catholic Values.  I am going to hell.

No comments: